Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Tribute to Cindy Hunt




This is my darling friend Cindy and her husband Ben. I chose this picture because of her facial expression. This is how I picture this beautiful young lady whom I haven't seen in YEARS.

Let me tell you about Cindy.

Right before my senior year of college began, my roommate from the previous year -- Katie Dean -- and I were teamed up as leaders for an orientation group. We memorized the names of our incoming group of peeps, including one Miss Cynthia Ann Flessert. Turns out that Cynthia was also on my hall -- and did NOT got by Cynthia.

Cindy and I probably started to get to know one another better when I was invited to be a part of her "Anti-Social Social" group. I adored those girls (and continue to love them!).

She is one of my friends who GETS IT. One of my most cherished memories with her is a night in my old apartment when we played a million games of mancala straight while discussing MANY, MANY things. I cried while we played, even. I told her that that was the night that bonded me to her forever.

I said that if you wanted to hear a story about grace, I have one about Cindy, and it's true. She is a friend of mine whom I hurt DEEPLY (for months, unknowingly) and had no excuse and nothing to say except that I was truly sorry and could she forgive me?

Her response (which I still have): "First of all, let me start off by saying that of course I forgive you. I forgive you seventy times seven times. I forgive you a million times."

To which I responded: "Thank you, dear Cindy, for being the best part of my day. I honestly feel your response gives me a picture of Christ's grace."

(I've played this story down, because it actually took days and involved a lot of tears and ANGUISH, actual anguish, not to mention the months of grief I had caused Cindy.)

And doesn't it? I mean, WHO DOES THAT, especially in today's society? You hurt me; I hurt you. MAYBE things will be okay if you give me a good enough excuse, an acceptable reason, something to justify your behavior -- then MAYBE I will be able to move forward.

But I didn't have good excuses or justification for Cindy. So I just asked for her grace, and as you saw above, she extended it a million times over. Remind anyone of a certain Savior we know?

I want to be like that too.

Anyway, since then Cindy and I have been much better at keeping in touch while she is in the Navy, and we are faithful in lifting one another up in prayer. Her and Ben's wedding was in February and in California, and I wasn't even able to be there, sadly. Imagine how EXCITED and BLESSED I was to be asked to be an honorary bridesmaid at her wedding reception in Wisconsin this summer?

Besides the fact that
a) I will get to see my DEAR Cindy for the first time in YEARS, and
b) I will get to meet Ben, her wonderful husband

... I will get to buy a new dress. :-) Thanks for the wonderful excuse, Cindy!

So this post is to honor an important woman in my life -- Cynthia Ann Hunt -- and to let everyone who reads this know how special she is to me.

I actually have a list -- a real, actual, written list -- of friendships I would fight to maintain.

Her name is definitely on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jackie lea, my dear, you are a one-of-a-kind friend. No one who knows you could think you would hurt someone intentionally! Jesus forgives us when we are difficult to forgive. I would like to forgive as Jesus forgives.

I treasure your friendship and I am so glad I have you in my life!